5/29/2010

Obama the Bi-partisan

Since I knew Obama at Chicago, I have no problem believing that he has a hard time getting along with those with whom he disagrees. RealClearPolitics has this:

And on a few occasions he's done what he did this past Tuesday when he made a plea for bipartisanship to Republicans during the day, and then turned right around and attacked the GOP before a highly partisan audience that night at a fundraiser for Barbara Boxer in San Francisco.

In fact, Obama made a revealing comment about his view of bipartisanship on Tuesday night. According to the New York Times, Obama related the following to the Democratic crowd about part of his lunch conversation with Republicans regarding the issue of immigration:

“You've got to meet me on solving the problem long-term. It's not enough just to talk about the National Guard down at the border,” Mr. Obama said he told the lawmakers. “You don't even have to meet me halfway. I'll bring most Democrats on these issues. I'm just looking for 8 or 10 of you.”


Notice how Obama frames himself as the bipartisan bridge builder who's willing to travel great political distances - well beyond "halfway" - to reach a compromise with Republicans. Yet in the very next breath Obama reveals he's really only interested in traveling a bare minimum in a quest for bipartisanship.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Claude said...

I was thinking about the time when Obama turned away from you when you tried to have a conversation about guns.

In the past few weeks he has avoided conversations with the governor of Arizona and Louisiana while continuing to demonize his opposition.

5/29/2010 10:20 PM  
Blogger Mike aka Proof said...

"You know, when I woke up this morning and I'm shaving, and Malia knocks on my bathroom door and she peeks in her head and she says, 'did you make any bipartisan overtures yet, Daddy?'"

5/31/2010 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home