1/13/2009

Customer with permitted concealed handgun saves clerk from robber

MSNBC has the story and video here:

OCOEE, Fla. - A convenience store customer in Ocoee turned the tables on suspected robbers Monday night, and authorities continued to search for two people Tuesday evening.

Authorities said the man grabbed a gun and shot and killed the bottle-wielding bandit.

The customer, who was only identified as Chris to protect his identity, said he walked into a Kangaroo convenience store on Franklin Street and noticed at least two suspicious men.

The customer said he walked out to his car to get his phone and heard the clerk inside screaming for help. He said he grabbed his gun and went back inside and saw the suspected robber beating a female clerk with a beer bottle.

The customer said he told the assailant he had a gun, but the man turned toward him and the customer fired two shots, killing the suspect.

"I feel very shaken. I feel very glad that I was here, that I could help my friend because I come to this store. I've lived in Ocoee for 20 years, and I'm glad I could be here, and I'm glad I was able to help," the customer said.

The customer was asked whether he had a permit to carry a concealed weapon, and he responded that he did.

Chris said he doesn't consider himself him a hero.

"I saw a lady that was in distress and I came in and took the action that I thought was necessary," he said. "Hearing a lady scream to where it sounds like bloody murder to where I thought she was going to be killed, I decided to help the lady. I've known her for years. She's a friend of mine, and I wanted to go in and help."

Investigators said the one suspect shot was killed, and two other people are sought in the case. Police identified the deceased as Freddie Carson, 40, of Orlando. . . . .

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home