6/01/2008

Can Obama win with National Defense views like these?

Is this really a winning position for the presidency? The youtube video has some extremely left wing views on national defense.

"I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending. I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of future combat system. ...

"I will set a goal of a world without nuclear weapons,. To seek that goal, I will not develop new nuclear weapons. I will seek a global ban on the production of fissile material, and I will negotiate with Russia to take our ICBMs off hair-trigger alert and to achieve deep cuts in our nuclear arsenals."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Adolfo David said...

extreme left wing??

for me this is extreme libertarian right wing. Excellent ad, Obama. He is the most similar to righ winger Ron Paul in foreing policy.

6/02/2008 3:53 AM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Well, I am not sure that I see how getting rid of "star wars" type defense is a libertarian position. Not being involved overseas is fine, but if you think that we don't need a shield against attacks, I would have to disagree.

6/02/2008 10:49 AM  
Blogger Adolfo David said...

Mmmm, for me it would be great a private and free market shield against attacks since i am anarchocapitalist, but in general libertarianism, and Ron Paul in this case, can agree with a strong national(federal) defense. Ron Paul's views in national defense are acceptable maybe for me from very practical point of views.

But Obama goes on being the most similar to Paul in foreign policy.

I read every day your blog from my country, Spain. Regards from Europe.

6/02/2008 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home